Friday, May 21, 2010

New Beginnings, and Updates...

This time around I started my journey with my weight at 275 pounds. Nearly the largest I have ever been, which was 288 pounds. But, once my body gets this large, what's plus or minus 13 pounds, right?

I detest traditional dieting, I've been very resistant to counting calories. I thought I could just watch what I ate, maybe have smaller portions and everything would work out in the end, the weight would eventually come off. I think, it may be possible, that I was wrong.

I still won't do a "diet" someone elses plan to lose weight, but I am counting calories. I cannot explain the level of accountability knowing that I am going to be recording everything that I eat. Now instead of "mmm... that looks good, think I'll eat it," I think "hmm... I wonder how many calories that is, and if it's worth it, and do I really want to admit to myself that I ate it?" If it's good for me, the answer is yes. If it's bad for me, well, sometimes the answer is still yes, but in MUCH less quantity.

I tend to think that the things we create to be better for us than the real thing (IE equal, in place of sugar, or margarine in place of butter) really aren't better for us than the real thing. I believe the key must be moderation. I used equal, or splenda, but sparingly, the same way I've come to use sugar.

It's been about a month now that I've really been watching what I eat, tracking calories, making sure I'm getting some form of exercise, and I have gotten rid of some weight... How much?  I'll let you know on Sunday when I weigh... but I think you may be suprised...

Until then...

No comments:

Post a Comment